The full tour will take 128 days, from August 16 to December 21, 2014 including 91 riding days, 32 rest days & 5 travel days. The average riding day will be about 120km in length. It will pass through 3 countries; Indonesia, East Timor & Australia.
Food Accommodations & Support
The Trans-Oceania Bicycle Expedition includes:
- 3 meals per/day on riding days (except for dinner on the night before a rest day)
- Nutritious lunches on cycling days
- Sweep rider at back of group at all times for security
- Experienced staff including Tour leader, Medic, Bike Mechanic and Tour support as required.
- Emergency communication systems
- Custom vehicles for transporting luggage and injured/sick/tired cyclists
On all nights in Indonesia & East Timor we will be staying in mid-range hotels. On all nights in Australia we will be camping, mainly in organized campsites with full facilities but occasionally in rougher, unserviced grounds. Built into the entry fee are hotel accommodations in Medan the night before the start of the tour and in Sydney on the night of the tour’s arrival. For sectional riders in joining or leaving in Indonesia the entry fee includes hotel accommodation the night before and the night after your section. Sectional riders joining or leaving in Australia will be camping unless their section (s) end in Sydney.
The Freedom to Set your Own Pace
Our tours are designed to enable the participants to be independent and adventurous – with support staff available to provide assistance and advice whenever needed. You get the best of both worlds! On each riding day, small, but challenging situations will test your skills, like navigating your way through towns that you and your riding partners have never heard of. Cyclists on this tour should be prepared to make their own way from town to town. General instructions will be given every evening for the next day’s ride but each day will, and should, be an adventure and riders may have to deal with unpredictable situations. getting to your destination is half the fun.
The 32 rest days have been scheduled in some of the region’s most fascinating locales. Enjoy a dip in Danau Toba, the largest lake in Southeast Asia. Marvel at the incredible Buddhist temple at Borobudur on Java. Drink XXXX with the locals in a roadside pub in Australia. Check out the stunning beaches along the coast near Melbourne. Enjoy the Indonesian art of Batik in Yogyakarta. Watch the astounding colour change on Uluru as the sun sets in the Australian desert. Explore islotaed villages in newly independent East Timor.
Short on holidays? – Join us for a few weeks instead
For those of you who have neither the time nor the inclination to cycle 10,400 km, Trans-Oceania is also divided into 8 shorter sections, lasting from 11 to 25 days, each with its own character and adventure. Whether it’s the legendary forests of Sumatra, the gorgeous Balinese interior, the historic temples of Java, the stark beautyof the Australian outback, or the world-reknown vineyards of South Auustralia that you wish to explore on your bike, this tour offers you all those opportunities to choose from.
A Cycling Tour unlike any other
Why cycle Oceania with us?
- We created the first ever organized tours across Africa, Asia, Oceania and Europe.
- We have run over 30 successful expeditions on five continents.
- We have been around for 11 years with an exceptional track record.
- We have had participants from over 20 different countries with very high client satisfaction.
- We have the best discount policies for returning clients.
- Our per day costs when considering all services and amenities are less than any other operator.
- We give you the freedom to explore and you ride at your own pace.
- We provide staff sweep cyclists equiped with cell and satellite telephones for your security.
- We employ highly qualified and experienced staff.
- Our expeditions are fully supported with at least two vehicles.
- Our tours create an unusual camaraderie and friendship that will last a lifetime.